Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Blugh...I'm Sthick...

I have a sinus infection. That's not awesome or funny. However, I decided to traipse over to the sinus aisle at CVS and check out the meds and other fun things that people use to clear up these pesky ailments. I'm also a sucker for a new deal. I've tried the ear candle, if that is any indication.

For a while I have thought about the neti pot and wondered about its wonders. So while on the CVS aisle, my eyes went straight to the nasal rinses. Gross, right? No...awesome. My good buddy, Joshua, uses one of these every night and he's only 5 (well, almost in July.) If he can do it, so can I.

So I buy this kit that includes a bottle with a straw in it and salt packets. I'm over-simplifying but essentially that is what they are selling. Once home I wanted to try this out immediately because at this point I'm only breathing out of my left nostril. I read the instructions thoroughly as all good McDonnells do, then proceed to boil 6 oz. of water then wait for it to cool down. I pour in my salt packet and shake vigorously. Then I walk to the bathroom, lean my head over the sink and proceed to shoot water up my nose. I believe you're supposed to open your mouth to let the water that is not going out of your other nostril out, but I must have skipped that part. I also probably should have let the water cool down a bit more...I think my back sinus cavity has 3rd degree burns. This morning I upped the saline amount and thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head. I'm told by the directions that I'll get used to that feeling.

What is my final recommendation of the Nasal Rinse? Do it. I'm getting used to it and my sinuses feel clean as a whistle. Now my right nostril still gets clogged up but not as quickly as normally. Also, I'm not going to lie and say it isn't cool that you can shoot water up one nostril and have it come out the other (along with other stuff.)


6 comments:

Crystal Garcia said...

siiiiiick!

kinsley said...

As a fellow sinus sufferer I must say that I'm a bit intrigued, but mostly I'm disgusted.

Amber said...

really sass! i'm glad i wasn't a part of this adventure

Stephanie Drew said...

definitely worth trying...as i too tried the ear candle. it didn't work.

Michael and Jana said...

Baahaaaaaaa!!!

Sarah Stephens said...

Don't hate...appreciate.