Monday, June 16, 2008

Poncho v. Bandit - A Match of Elemental Proportions

Picture it...Saturday, June 14, 2008. Ridgeland Tennis Center, Ridgeland, Mississippi

Bob and I decided to go try our hand at the game of tennis. Bob played a good bit of tennis in high school and college, or so I now hear. I am currently taking lessons, as I'm sure you've read. So we ventured to the courts Saturday morning around 9 am. Now, you might think that Bob was given the chance to play with a wooden racket or an aluminum racket, he'd choose the aluminum one. You'd be wrong. He went with the same racket he played with last...the wooden Poncho Gonzales Spalding. It's a good half size smaller than my racket, the Bandit. So we jaunt out to the tennis center. I ask for a court not near anybody else...they are pretty booked up. But the nice lady gave us a court that was had no one directly by it. We don't want to embarrass ourselves, right? So out we go the court and luckily, there is a court between us and 4 guys playing doubles. We're pretty much just trying to keep it on our court. No actual game was played. Just a lot of hitting the ball back and forth. A couple came in and took the court in the middle. This made me uber-nervous. They actually played a match, and hit it on our court more than we did theirs. Anyway, that pretty much says it all...


Oh, and if you were to call out "Hey, Bird Legs McDonnell!" both my dad and I would turn and look. You see I've not seen my dad's legs in over 20 years. He had to go buy a pair of shorts for this outing. He is deathly afraid of skin cancer. He wears fatigues when he's mowing the lawn, flannel shirts at football games in September. Needless to say, his legs have not seen the sun since I was a kid.

Poncho and Bandit


2 comments:

Haley said...

I used to work at the RTC. You would think that would make me a tennis expert. Not.

Emily Ainsworth said...

where are the pictures of the shorts? and of you two playing together?