Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Lady, The Myth, The Balance Machine

I want to thank the 2 people who so warmly welcomed me to the TWSS team.  I feel honored to be a part while the Berge is gone, and I will try to do the blog justice in her stead.  I will, however, opt for better punctuation and sentence structure.  :)

My husband, who I refer to as The Bean, and I broke down last week and bought Wii Fit.  Stop snickering.  Stop it.  If you are unfamiliar with Wii Fit, it is basically a white board that you place in front of your TV and you...exercise on...it.  I know this sounds ridiculous.  Why wouldn't you go outside, Erin?  Why wouldn't you go to the gym, for goodness sake?  Well, Birmingham is in a constant state of ozone alert thanks to years of factories pumping God knows what into the air.  So, as much as I want emphysema, I'll pass on the outside for now.  And we just froze our gym membership for this month, so the Wii Fit is looking pretty good.  

So I look like an idiot on this thing.  I am FAR too insecure to actually post a picture, but you can imagine what a slightly chubby, rather uncoordinated 25 year old looks like on a white board in the middle of her living room.  A lot of the Wii Fit exercises focus on balance, and during the exercise, it tracks your balance, so you will know if you are doing the exercises properly.  Well, guess what I've been doing for the past ten years?  EVERY EXERCISE WRONG!  No wonder!  It is literally changing my life.  There is yoga (or Yo-God, if yoga offends you), there are strength exercises, balance games, aerobics, a hula hoop game, running, the works!  And it tracks your time and lets you compete with everyone else in the house, which I love.  I don't want to play with you if you aren't gonna be competitive.  Right, Jana K?

I will be interested to see what kind of progress I make with Wii Fit.  In the world of Wii, there are things called Mii's, which is your representative inside the system.  In Wii Fit, they very kindly transform your Mii based on your weight and BMI.  So every morning I can be humiliated by a cartoon character version of myself, tubbing around despondently.  It also gives you your Wii Fit Age.  This makes me so nervous.  I have taken several "real age" tests and it creates extreme anxiety within me.  I am already struggling with the fact that I am 25 in actual age, so you can imagine my sheer terror as a happy, Japanese voice informed me that my Wii Fit Age was...42.  This is six years younger than my mother.  And can I tell what that did to me emotionally?  It got my butt on the Wii Fit the next morning, that's for dang sure.  42?! Apparently, raw cookie dough from the tube and frozen Bagel Bites DO NOT keep you young and fresh.  They apparently age you so that you could be your mother's (barely) younger sister.  Who knew?

Either way, I've been on that Wii Fit everyday.  You better believe it.

Until I get that number back down to a 30 (AT LEAST!), enjoy this video that mocks my quest for fitness on a little white board.

1 comment:

Michael and Jana said...

If I am ever in your area, I will totally compete on the Wii Fit. If you are ever in Nashville, I will compete in a game of tennis or badmitton. If we are ever in Canyon together, I will compete with you in a foot race or long jump, or any other sport. Basically, I'm here to compete. So glad you know me well, Erin.