Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Do It!


Let me give you a piece of advice. I know, I know....it's unsolicited and you'll probably just write it off as another know-it-all telling you what to do. But don't...seriously.

You have a few months now of down time before the 4th season of one of the greatest shows I've ever watched comes back on. Friday Night Lights is more of an experience in TV than just an hour-long drama. It has changed the way I watch television and has raised the bar of what I consider good TV.

Here are a few thoughts that are probably running through your head:
1. I didn't like the movie.
2. I don't like football.
3. I hated high school.
4. I don't like Texas.
5. Isn't that the guy from Early Edition? Why would I want to watch him?
6. How can they keep the show interesting?
7. What do they do when seniors graduate and go off to college?
8. Won't people make fun of me for being the only person in America who watches this show?
9. It's 3 seasons in. I can't catch up.
10. I go out on Friday nights.

Here are my answers to you.
1. It's not like the movie. I fell asleep in the movie; I cry, laugh, sigh, yell and smile during the show.
2. I love football so I don't know where you're coming from. It's not really about football that much.
3. I hated high school. Strangely, this show will make you wish you had those days back. But then you'll remember that time you sat on a brownie and you won't want to go back.
4. I don't really like Texas either. But I do know a good amount of Texans and have spent time there. That's not really an answer. Just my thought.
5. Kyle Chandler is the guy from Early Edition, as well as HomeFront. You will absolutely fall in love with his character and his wife, Tammy (played by the underrated Connie Britton.) They are effortless.
6. In essence, FNL feels like I'm watching the lives of real people in small town USA. The situations and experiences feel very organic and real. Granted, there are a few dramatic occurances that take place. These are pretty few and far between.
7. When seniors graduate, they move on. The show helps you to let them move on.
8. You're not the only person in America watching this show. Chelsea Handler does and I do too. Maybe we can watch together.
9. The 2nd and 3rd seasons are short. You have plenty of time. When you watch, you will find yourself watching 7 episodes in a row. Trust me.
10. DVR, dude. DVR.

Oh, and reason 11 that you will want to watch this show (#1 in my opinion)...Tim Riggins!


1 comment:

Michael and Jana said...

You know you'll get a comment out of me on this one. I do love Riggins, but let's not forget about the adorable and lovable Matt Saracen. Ahhh! I'm so excited!