Saturday, August 9, 2008

You're from where?



Now, I took geography and had tests to judge how well I knew the countries of the world. I even had to know capitals. But last night watching the countries march into the Opening Ceremony yesterday, I have come to realize that every 2 years (Summer and Winter) countries seem to come to existence.

Here are a few that I don't believe in:
Eritrea
Nauru
Sao Tome and Principe
Tuvalu

Props to the Chinese for a great Opening Ceremony. It is quite an impressive stadium, with some awesome fireworks (I mean you invented them, didn't you?)

I'll admit it, this made me cry:
Here are my favorite fashions of the night:

Hello, America!

Cheers, Great Britain!
Bonjour, France!

Happy Birthday, Roger! The Swiss apparently read the weather report.

And a few faux pas:

What the jorts, Denmark?

Love you Rafa, but no.

Hands down, worst (Hungary):


One about which I'm not quite sure how I feel (Netherlands) I think I kind of like it:

One more look at GBR:

And America once again:

Thank you, Ralph Lauren:

I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!!!

7 comments:

Haley said...

Two things:

1. I like the Netherlands? Or whatever it is.

2. "One more look at GB" - cracked me up!

Michael and Jana said...

Michael and I traveled to Eritrea for missions in the summer of 2000. We had to fly into Egypt and then take Egypt air (scary) into the the capitol city of Asmara. It is a beautiful country with mountains and freaking hot beaches that line the Red Sea.
Any more questions?

Anonymous said...

The Netherlands' get-up rocked, for sure.

If I only owned one suit, I would want it to be that one.

(As I write this I sadly realize I do indeed only have one suit. And it is not nearly as cool as the Netherland's.)

Stephanie Drew said...

hungary looks like they've been shot - over and over and over

Stacey said...

I agree on Hungary. Were they going for a Flowery Look? Are they known for Flowers? I thought that was the Dutch. Which is a different country, right? (the Olympics reminds me I was TERRIBLE at geography. I can't really even point to Iowa...)

Ann Catherine said...

First off - LOVE this post! Second, I do love the USA's outfits best & I do think I like the Netherlands. Man oh man, the Americans in those white hats - iee yiee yee! HAWT!

molly said...

hey sarah! I just now saw a comment you left me waaaaay back in may. sorry about that! I'm glad you clued me in to what the PM stood for in that song title. it always bothered me.

I have to say I LOVED the Netherlands uniforms. Orange and Gray isn't a color combo you see often and I think that's why it worked.

And i'm glad someone else cried with the little boy walked in with Yao. what a great story.