Thursday, November 20, 2008

Kay and Kings of Leon

What do these two entities have in common? Both are Southern and damn proud of it. Both wear girl clothes. And....that's about it.

My warning to Kay is to never get anywhere near a KOL concert. There is nothing about it that will please her.

My warning is to everybody else out there is to run to your nearest KoL concert. They were AWESOME.

Last night, Erin, Lindsay and I bundled up and headed downtown to rock out. Let me first say that the crowd demographics at this concert were much different than what I have experienced in the past. First of all, I've never been frisked before a concert. I was. I've never seen beer cans so big. I've never seen so many pairs of girl jeans on non-girls. This was a night of firsts.

This could be considered my first rock concert. I made the comment to E & L that I have rock legs but a pop heart. My legs want to move to the beat, but I don't know what to do with the rest of me. I also am a snapper so I usually keep my hands in my pockets or clasped together.

(As an aside, the Nashville Municipal Auditorium has the softest bathroom tissue I've ever used at a public bathroom. No lie. The other two didn't notice...I did.)

We missed The Whigs, but made it just in time to hear We Are Scientists. It was general admission and the floor was packed out. We decided to stick it out in the bleachers. They really were perfect seats. We sat through We Are Scientists and saw everything and stood through KOL and saw everything. Perfection.

Highlights of the evening...

- Tight girl jeans
- Marajuana smoke
- Crowd surfers
- Crowd surfers who had one leg above their head and then fell on his head.
- Crowd surfers who didn't wear pants or underwear (yikes.)
- Woman standing in the entry (light) to the arena (dark) dancing so we saw her silhouette (can you say Stevie Nicks? thanks E.)
- The guy we thought was surely going to yell "Free Bird"
- The guys behind us who continually yelled "F__K Yeah!" and "This is my song!"
- My eyes watering from the smoke.
- The same guys behind us who said they were going to their car to get a joint.
- Oh, and the music was awesome.

So Kay, stay away from any KoL concert. I'm sure you'd classify it as Heavy Metal, because that's what you call any music with a beat. I'll take you to Celine Dion sometime. I mean she's borderline Metal.

4 comments:

Amber said...

crowd surfing...wow. hate i missed that one, you know how i love to surf

Stacey said...

That's pretty funny. I think my mom categorizes Billy Joel as "rock", so I'm right there with you!! Of course, she did go to a Cher concert once...non-girls in SPARKLY girl clothes at that one.

Anonymous said...

"We do not fit in. I feel so proper."

"You feel proper? I have a clutch!"

:)

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well....what would you do if you did not have me to talk about? I must admit I have never heard of Kings of Leon. And, after reading what you wrote...I don't think I want to hear anymore about them.

What is a good Southern girl like you going to something like that? Shame, shame, shame..what would Nana and Grandmother think of their little princess? JK