Friday, November 14, 2008

My cousin the hippy

I don't think I have ever talked about my cousin Brian on here. He's great. I just hung out with him tonight and felt the need to tell you about him. I think what I love most about him is that he reminds me of our grandfather and I miss him more than I could describe to you. Brian is very much so a hippy. I love having hippies around me, there is a part of me that would very much like to be one but I think we all know that is not really who I am...there is just that little spot in my personality that wants it to take over my personality ha. He made me want to go backpacking...I even tried on his old pack. Sadly it didn't fit, I have a very short waste.

He lives in Irondale, middle of nowhere but loves it. Always leaves his front door unlocked...knows all of his neighbors. Can walk to the city diner. I got a little nervous while I was there because of where we were and then realized hi I lived in Africa in the middle of nowhere...get over yourself.

He's really fun to talk to...you really never know what your going to talk about. He works for the railroad and has met some hobos that way because you know they travel by jumping carts on trains. He told me some of their stories and I loved it. He met this one girl from Uruguay that was an orphan and she was sold into slavery so she escaped on a ship and then finally made it to America and has lived on trains ever since. He had a picture of her, she was beautiful...he called her an angel :). Oh and he said she makes her own bow and arrows and kills what she is going to eat with that. I mean wow. There was another couple that he met and actually let stay in his house. He left to go fishing the next day and by the time he got back his house was completely clean with a note from them. Then when they got to Canada they sent him a card that he showed me. I was so interested in all their stories...I mean who knew, thats like an entire group that you just don't think about existing.

I cooked dinner and we listed to Neil Young and lots of blue grass Ha. While we were there he talked about making moon shine and I just laughed...later on that night he pulled out a diagram of how you actually do it that he had printed from the internet. I guarantee you he will find a way to make it in his basement.

I listened to M.Ward on my way home from hanging with him in honor.

No comments: