Friday, May 23, 2008

Two Broad Statements

I have made two sweeping statements this week. These are things that have rolled around in my head for years. They just came out since Monday.

1. I believe in only naming your first car.
2. I don't want to hear new songs from an old band. I just want to hear their old stuff.

1. My first car's name was TwoPOC. That stood for Two-Seater, Piece of Crap. It was a car that Boppa (my grand-papa [said with a French accent]) bought in Dallas from an attorney who got it in a repossession. It was a red, 2 seat 1984 Honda CRX. Hatchback. Purple tinted windows. Bullethole in the side. This car was a lesson in humility. I went to a private school where most people drove brand new Explorers, BMWs, etc... If they wrecked it, they got a brand new one the next day. Not the McDonnells. I ran into my best friend's car in the mall parking lot one day. No damage was done to her Jeep. $2400 damage was done to TwoPOC. Not to mention that the hood wouldn't close. What is Bob's solution? Tie the hood down. So on my drives to school, if you caught a stiff wind you would see the hood fly up about 3 inches. It was quite the car. I am better for having driven it.

2. I don't remember the context but yesterday I said that I don't like it when old acts come out with new songs. I want to hear your old stuff. I don't need Madonna to have a bunch of new songs because chances are, I just want to hear Holiday. OK, Madonna may not be the best example. How about Hall & Oates? Truth be told, if it makes it into the mainstream I'll probably listen to it. But it will take a few times of changing the station when I hear it coming on the radio.

Both of these statements were said to Brad and Davy. We laughed at how convicted I am about them.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

but when does a band become old?

Haley said...

You actually said the second statement to us at SUPER Club. About New Kids on the Block.

Emily Ainsworth said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I COMPLETELY forgot about the wreck at the mall!! oh... the memories

btw- My cousin Chris was Prep's valedictorian this year- when I heard all I could think about was Steven Sanders' speech and how many times he quoted Steven Curtis Chapman!!!

Anonymous said...

what about new kids on the block?