Friday, January 25, 2008

An Almost Third-World Mistake

I receive letters from my Compassion children (I've got kids all over this world) not too often. They are both 5 and live in poverty stricken areas so I cut them a break on the writing thing. When I do receive letters, I usually can't wait to read what they say (usually it's from a parent or teacher.)

On Wednesday, I received a letter from sweet Wenderson "Big Shoes" Joseph (McDonnell) from Haiti. I opened the envelope with bated breath. What is Wenderson going to say through his translator/father? I read the letter and in the 3rd line, I stopped dead in my reading. "He is not doing too good."

WHAT?!?!?! What do you mean he's not doing too good? EXPLAIN!!!! The rest of the letter read like a normal Wenderson letter. He's trying to do good in school. He loves his church activities. He likes to play outside. But I couldn't get out of my head that through all of this, my little Wenderson isn't doing too good!

I immediately wrote back on the stationery provided by Compassion. I said my normal.."So glad to hear from you." In my last paragraph I mentioned that I was sad to hear that he wasn't doing too good. What can we do to rectify this situation? Do you need to come live with me for a while? I know that Haiti has gone through lots of turmoil, weatherwise in the past year.

So after finishing the letter, I finished a nice roast dinner that I had fixed for Miss Haley B-Ragg. After eating, I told her about my sad letter from Haiti. I showed her the letter and she said, "Sass, that says 'He is not too bad.'"

Time to write another letter.

5 comments:

Ann Catherine said...

Sass - that killed me! I literally laughed out loud!

Haley said...

I really am the voice of reason in your life.

Amber said...

I'm glad someone is haley...thanks for taking my place

Anonymous said...

HHHHHHAAAAA!! It's 2:39am on the west coast and i just finished reading your entire blog. How did I now know about this?! You girls are crazy. I LOVE it.
- Azurae

Anonymous said...

Ok..that was supposed to be NOT know about this...though I suppose it could have been "just now know" about this. Like you Sass, I have trouble...but mine is with reading my OWN writing. Point for you.
- Az