Sunday, January 13, 2008

Kay - Tonight Voiced by Sarah

risI was informed tonight (or more made aware) that when I am saying something that my mother (dear Kay) says, I use a certain voice (mostly nasally, very southern) and make a face (perhaps squishing up my nose[?].) This is nothing that my mother sounds like. Kay sounds more like Kristin Wiig's character Aunt Linda from SNL. She uses the phrases "Gaah" and "Oh Brother!" and often asks me (in a nasal, southern accent,) "Sarah, have you seen (fill in the blank with the movies RV, Over the Hedge, etc.)? It is so funny!"

The voice was perfected through my college years. My friends and I have made each of our parents somewhat like characters. We refer to them by first name, have voices for each and overly exaggerate their characteristics (i.e., Kay and Bob are rabid MSU fans. Debbie got sloshed on mimosas at a wedding shower thinking she was drinking just orange juice. Delaine and Donnie just sit on their porch and let their yard boy (a 60 year old man) do all of their work.) These are grossly exaggerated characters, but aren't they much funnier this way?

I think secretly our parents like us having this perception of them. Who wouldn't? I only hope my children mimic me in a high pitched, nasal, ultra-southern accent. It would be a dream come true.

GAAAAHHH!!!!

2 comments:

Erin said...

I don't want to nitpick, but Aunt Linda is played by Kristen Wiig.

Anonymous said...

sass, that's pretty much how we mimic you now.