Wednesday, January 16, 2008

A Micro-Social Experiment

I've got a bit of a game I'm playing. It's kind of like Solitaire but without the cards. Actually it's nothing like Solitaire, so scratch that.

I'm trying to go through Spring 2008 without watching the phenomenon known as American Idol. I don't want to watch a show or commercial about it. I don't want to hear banter or editorials on it. I will not read anything online or in the newspaper concerning the #1 show in the country, no the world.

I have nothing against American Idol. I have enjoyed the past 4 or 5 seasons immensely. I love people who watch the show and will listen to those who have already won or been on the show. I am just trying to see what effect, if any, abstaining from AI will have on me.

Will I be the same? Will I get more reading done? Will I run out of conversation with people? I'll keep you updated.

8 comments:

Haley said...

Sass. I just want to warn you that I am going to make this as hard as possible on you. You know that, right? How could you NOT have known it?

You should have seen this kid on there last night...

I'm telling Lindsay you think she's a drunk.

Erin said...

i support you. i can't watch american idol anymore. it makes my heart hurt.

Ann Catherine said...

You should have seen the eye candy that is Drew last night. Farmer from some rural town in some back country state. He was presh. I think he stole my heart.

Susan P. said...

sass...that farmer she's referring to is from saltillo, ms! too bad you missed him

...and that other guy from lucedale who has collected his fingernail clippings in a ziploc baggie for the past 7 years...grody!

but good luck with your experiment...and keep us posted on your progress :)

Amber said...

MISSISSIPPI!!!

Anonymous said...

sass - you can do it!!! i have NEVER watched the show AT ALL until last season & my life was non the lesser for it. I will say that Farmer Drew from this season has hooked me & the next time I go home I WILL FIND HIM!

MeMi

Anonymous said...

I will watch every moment.

Jen Clapp said...

You will just learn to LOATHE the beginning of the show (when they show all the "bad" singers, which are obviously just people acting to get on TV) and learn to support people from the same general hometown as you without ever really having to watch. All of the satisfaction; none of the pain.