Friday, April 11, 2008

From the Dead

Ok, so I've got a little time to write a few things that have been blogging themselves in my mind.

1. You got us all, Berge. Wishful thinking I guess.

2. As many of you know, I've been packing up for my big move tonight/tomorrow. It's just been me getting all of my stuff in boxes. This environment has lent itself perfectly for me to reminisce as I find items from my past. 

T-Shirts bring back a lot of memories. I have way too many of them. I even separated them out into SL t-shirts and school shirts. I'm going to have two quilts made I think. I'll never wear them all again. I did, however, find a shirt that lives in infamy. Let me tell you about it. In my senior year in college, my girlfriends and I decided to create a girls softball team to play intramurals. It was an interesting group from the get-go. (I just spent a minute trying to figure out if out-set or on-set would work best there. I went with get-go, as you can read.) We named ourselves Jem and the Holograms (from the 80s cartoon heroine.) We had some good players. Some had played high school or college softball. I remember one game, halfway into the season, where I had Mariclaire teach me how to throw correctly. So you can see that winning was not our biggest priority; fun was.

So one Monday night, a game that will live in infamy was played between Jem and the Holograms and Hull Hall. Our coaches (yes, some of our guy friends became our coaches) made the line-up. We did some stretches and took the field. In MSU intramurals, you only play 3 innings or 1 hour, whichever comes first. Hull was massacring us. 11 - 0 in the 3rd inning. We were getting killed and this wasn't fun anymore. There's one last inning for us to even make this a respectable game. We huddle in the dugout and probably said something inspiring. We must have because in the bottom of the 3rd, down 12 runs and on 2 outs...JEM AND THE HOLOGRAMS SCORED 13 POINTS!!!!  We all screamed and ran around the bases like idiots. We won the MSU Girls Softball Intramural Championship that year, mostly because all of the teams that we were going to play against forfeited. I guess they got wind of Jem. 

There's also another funny Jem story where we were at bat with two outs. Mariclaire is the 3rd base coach and I am in the dugout. One of our players, sweet Whitney, was rounding 3rd on a pop-fly and the inning was already over. For some reason Mariclaire and I didn't realize this and we yelled for her to come on home. Whitney fell down between 3rd and home base and in her haste to get back up, her pants fell down. Seeing this, we continued to yell at her to get up, even though the inning was over.

3. I have also found a lot of great pictures, some of which I hope to post mainly of our faithful commenter and friend Haley (HaleBop, B-Ragg) Bragg. I did see a picture of one of the two *NSync (that's right, I used the star) concerts I went to during college. I loved this group. Lance Bass is a native Mississippian and grew up in Clinton , where Mississippi College is, and had a house in Brandon, also a suburb of Jackson. For some reason, I loved Lance. Enough to have the thought that he might be at the Friday night show choir concert at Clinton High School in 2001. Emily Wood (Ainsworth, now) and I bebopped up to CHS to see Attache, a really great show choir which Lance was a member of in High School. We sat through most of the performance which was awesome. Near the end of the show, Emily said, "Let's go to the back so we can get out early." So we proceeded to go to the back of the auditorium to watch the last number. As soon as it is over (it was an *NSync song, by the way) I look to my left to go to the door and see I've been standing by Mr. Bass the whole time. He turns to walk out the double doors and I push open the door and almost knock him out as he's running out of sight. 

I also somehow found out where his house in Brandon was. One day over Christmas I was at home watching TRL. I heard Carson Daly say that he would be talking to Lance Bass after the next break. So I'm intrigued. Who wouldn't be? Then, Carson says he is talking to Lance from his home in Mississippi. I promptly call Haley up (she loved them too) and we cruise over to his house. I don't know what we thought would happen. Would he come out on his cell phone talking to Carson and see us and invite us in? Who knows. 

Ah memories.

Two more notes: 
The Hills still entertains me. I love it.
Rob & Big's season finale (possibly series finale) happens next Tuesday. Big and his girl have a baby. Get ready. If it's the end, I might cry while I laugh.

Oh, one more thing...Nashville weathercasters, specifically NBC, have a lot of explaining to do. None of us here got to see the final 2 minutes of The Office last night. They better be glad I have the Internet at work.

I was about to apologize for the length of this post. But I'm not going to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time...

Haley said...

In response to the post dedicated to me:

1. Oh, Whitney Huff.

2. Please don't post any pictures of me wearing that ridiculous cowboy hat and blue sunglasses that I wore during some parts of the *NSync concert.

3. I loved Lance Bass. Truly, madly, deeply.

I drove Amanda Lamb by his house once and we made up a story about how he was washing his car and came out and invited us inside for Dr. Pepper - as that was his favorite drink. We told it to Acts, Too that night and they totally believed it. It was also April Fool's day. Now Ber, THAT'S how to do an April Fool's joke!

Jen Clapp said...

I've even gone so far as to cut up all my Student Life wear (the t-shirts, polos, sweaters, long sleeve polos, etc) and put them in a box to take up less space. I have another box for my sorority shirts. Let me know if you find someone who does the blankets...

Anonymous said...

I took all my t-shirts and had a quilt made...whit's mom did it. It is HUGE!