Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Baker, The Caterer, The Bridal Gown Maker

So I'm the Cogginator's maid of honor and I am just thrilled. The wedding is in October, giving us plenty of time to make sure every detail is just so.


This weekend, Coggin and I went with the mothers of the bride and groom to the Nashville Bridal Show at the Convention Center. It's basically a million brides, a dozen grooms, a few thousand mothers and a bunch of friends all finding out way too much about weddings. You can purchase your cake, find your photographer, get your caterer, hire a DJ and schedule an appointment for nearly nude photos and liposuction all in one place. This place is for keeps.


So Laura so graciously asked me to go with her and the moms to the show. We knew it would be wedding overload but figured that we can make any situation fun, right? Well, about halfway through we hit our 5th bakery. This baker woman was hocking her wares left and right. I should have gone no where near the pamphlet to get more information because she beelined to me.


Our conversation went a little something like this:


Baker: "CAN I HELP YOU?"


Me: "Oh, not me. My friend here is the one getting married."


(Seeing the fear in my eyes, I pull Laura into the convo.)


Baker: "When are you getting married?"


Laura: "October 16th, so we have a while."


Baker: "Do you have your cake picked out yet?"


Laura: "Well, not ye..."


Baker: "Oh, you've got to try my cake. We use all real ingredients, real butter. It's the best."


Laura and I: "Oh, no thank you."


Baker to me (while looking at my stomach): "Well I know you're full."


Me: "EXCUSE ME?!?! WHAT DID YOU SAY?!?!? I KNOW YOU AREN'T IMPLYING THAT I'M...DID YOU REALLY?!?!?"


Me in actuality: "I am. I've eaten a lot today."


End of conversation.


If that baker keeps it up, someone is going to drop a 'bow on her head. I should have let her know that you can look at someone and assume they've eaten a lot that day but you shouldn't tell them you assume that.

1 comment:

The Glengarry Sporting Club said...

It's the Amish Friendship Bread what does it to me.