Thursday, January 14, 2010

Have you met Mariclaire?


I'd be lying if I said it's been easy. Sometimes I think of taking the easy way out, saying it's my blog and my challenge and I'll do what I darn well please. But then again, that's the purpose of the 12 Months of Resolutions. You see, they say it takes 21 days to make a habit. I'll admit that I've started brushing my teeth and halfway through I stop because I've forgotten to floss. So it's not a habit yet. I get to about 10 o'clock and think about how tired I am and think It'll be okay if I blog tomorrow. But that's not the deal.

So I give you a seven fun facts about my best friend, Mariclaire.

1. Mariclaire is a Spanish teacher in Madison, Miss. She spent 1 summer in Peru, a semester in Spain and another month in Spain during her college years. She's quite the aficionado. However, as of right now she's only managed to teach me how to say Cuidado! (That means caution.)

2. Mariclaire's mother, Debbie, was my kindergarten teacher at Broadmoor. She tells the story about how I was going to write a book when I got older. If only she had known... I also was with dear WMU-heading Debbie when she drank mimosas thinking they were orange juice. Boy, they were good.

3. Mariclaire and I are great traveling buddies. We have driven many a southern highway and backroad. We've conquered the Superdome and New Orleans. We journeyed through the streets and avenues of New York City, drove the PCH on the coast of California, walked the Las Vegas Strip (losing only a few dollars) and sipped tea in London across the pond.

4. We had great plans to be on The Amazing Race. With her knowledge of Spanish and ability to drive a stick shift and my impeccable directional sense and 6 years of French, the Italian lessons on my iPod and my Scottish/Irish last name, we would have been an unstoppable force. Marian (as I call her) is an amazing pedestrian. She can weave through a crowd with the best of them. There was a moment in London where I thought she was not going to make it across the 6 lanes of traffic but, by golly, she did.

5. Mariclaire loves the band Boston. I think the reason is mostly because of More Than a
Feeling mentions "MaryAnn" but she thinks it is Marian, her given name (Marian Claire.)

6. Mariclaire has sensitive ears and on many occasions has called my handclap the Clap of Doom. If memory serves me correctly, I think it's the left ear that is super sensitive causing me to mostly sit on her right at sporting events.

7. Mariclaire wrote many of my student recruiting letters during college. As a Roadrunner, we had to write 25 letters a week (you wrote more if you were new) and she could churn those letters out. She also helped me learn the words to the Mississippi State alma mater. "In the heart of Mississippi, Made by none but God's own hands..."

Our Yeoman from the Tower of London
Tea Time in London
Wedding Weekend!

Love you, MCI!!!

1 comment:

msbullie said...

Sarah, I remember when you said you were going to write a book your Uncle Jack said he would back you having it published. Unfortunately, it never came to fruition. Of course, if you do ever write the book you know Daddy and I will support you. THAT IS, as long as we are not the subjects of your book! ;>)