Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What's on my mind...

I usually keep it light on here. It's been Berge's and my motto from the beginning. I even gave her an earful when she wrote a post about something on the heavier side.

But since it's our blog, I'm going to take today to write about some precious people in my life who need a whole lot of prayer.

Sterling Davis is the 5 year old son of some sweet friends from Birmingham, Roger and Becca. Sterling has always been a cool kid from the moment he was born (even if Roger did dress him in orange.) A few months back he was diagnosed with a brain tumor and had surgery to remove 80%. He is still having seizures so they are testing different medicines to see if they'll stop what is going on in Sterling's head. There are lots of questions to be answered. I'm praying for wisdom, comfort and perspective for Becca and Roger. For smart, compassionate people to surround them who don't say ridiculous things. For doctors who are wise and helpful. For 3 sisters (Landry, Kinsley and Murray) to be protected from all of it but to bring smiles when there is pain. And for Sterling, to be healed and to be edified in his young faith. You can learn more about Sterling's journey here.

A few weeks back we celebrated Joshua Kelley's end of chemotherapy by living it up at Chick-Fil-A. We watched him take his final pills and then play on the playground for the first time in a few years. Joshua was diagnosed with leukemia a few years back. After 3 and a half years he is finished with it all. You can read about the Kelley's journey here. They've even added a new Kelley (Christian) to the crew. I am thankful that I know a kid like Joshua. I'm thankful that he can tell me every detail about StarWars even though, at 5, he has never seen all of the movies. I am thankful I can call Jana and Michael my friends. I am thankful that the Lord continued to be faithful throughout these past 3 years.

Wenderson Joseph is my Compassion child. He is 7 years old and loves to play soccer and loves school. He is an excellent artist and can draw a house like nobody's business. Wenderson lives in Haiti where a 7.0 earthquake hit today. Haiti is the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation. Please pray for Wenderson and his fellow Haitians. I honestly don't know the words to pray for but trust Holy Spirit does.

I've been involved with Compassion since 2004 through Student Life. After getting letters from my two sponsored children (Patrick lives in Kenya,) seeing the Compassion headquarters in Colorado Springs and hearing the heart of Compassion's president, I know that the Lord is doing incredible things by releasing children from poverty in Jesus' name. You can learn more about Compassion here. You can actually give money directly to the disaster relief fund on Compassion's home page.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't even fully read this post because it was making me cry. Sometimes you just don't feel like crying...now I just feel selfish. You HAD to go and write a serious post. (Just kidding). What precious children.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so proud of you for using your voice to speak out for those in need, and to say thank you for the ones God has used to meet your needs. It's powerful.

Give me a call sometime.

Andy R.